Serajul I. Bhuiyan Ph.D., the 3rd president of Business and Applied Sciences Academy of North America, has a substantial academic and professional accomplishments during the last 30 years in higher education both as a faculty and an administrator. Dr. Bhuiya’s academic has a strong interdisciplinary credentials that include a BSc (Hons) in Ag. Economics, MSc in Ag. Extension Education and Communication (Mymensingh, Bangladesh), MBA from Texas A&M University-Texarkana, Texas and a Ph.D., degree in Mass Communications from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin, USA.
Dr. Bhuiyan is a true internationalist with an extraordinary professorial and academic leadership background. He earned accolades for distinguished services at different universities in the USA; Singapore; Australia; Ireland; Kuwait, and United Emirates. He developed, led, administered, and enhanced both graduate and undergraduate programs. He came to Savannah State University as Professor and Chair of the department recently from the University of Kuwait (KU), Kuwait. At KU, he served as Professor and Director of Graduate Programs. Also served as Director, Professor and a Graduate Faculty member at Zayed University, Abu Dhabi, UAE. Before that, he held numerous other administrative positions in the academia, including the department head at Auburn University in Montgomery, AL, the founding program director at Lincoln University in Oxford, Pennsylvania, and the founding program director at Texas A&M University-Texarkana, Texas.
He received professional development training in journalism from the Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard University, Cornell University, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and New York University. He received executive and administrative leadership training from the Executive Leadership & Management Institute at Auburn University in Alabama; Leadership Institute of the Council of College of Arts and Sciences for Deans and Chairs, Denver, Colorado. Furthermore, he received short-term training on journalism at different professional institutes, namely, Poynter Institute, American Press Institute, the Dow Jones Newspaper Fund, the American Society of Newspaper Editors, and the Pew Center for Civic Journalism.
Confidence, vision, and strength of purpose are hallmarks of his effective leadership. He is a strategic leader with superior leadership skills. He had been a part of the top leadership group of Business and Applied Sciences Academy of North America (BAASANA) as the Senior Vice President. He continuously demonstrates practical planning, organizing, fundraising, collaborative and leadership abilities for the annual, as well as regional BAASANA International conferences. He seeks to advance BAASANA to its new height as the premier interdisciplinary global organization. His goal is to make BAASANA a leader in producing the next wave of innovators in the U.S A and in the globe toward finding solutions to problems by using interdisciplinary knowledge of Business and Applied Sciences.
- He was the pioneer to initiate a lecture series of Nobel Laureates at Kuwait University with Nobel Laureate Dr. Muhammad Yunus as the Founding Speaker of the series in 2016. Dr. Bhuiyan interviewed former US President Jimmy Carter on July 20, 2001, for the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer–a Knight Ridder newspaper in Georgia. In fact, President Carter’s comments on Bush Administration created national and international headlines. In this context, Dr. Bhuiyan was interviewed by C-Span, MSNBC and Voice of America to discuss his interview and its impact on the US policies on the then Bush Administration.
- Most recently he interviewed His Excellency, Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad, the former Prime Minister of Malaysia and Nobel Laureate Dr. Muhammad Yunus for Kuwait Times (the prestigious Daily News outlet in the Kingdom Kuwait) which has a wide circulation in entire Middle East.
- Bhuiyan coordinated an International Education Project with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). In addition, he had served as an international communication-training coordinator sponsored by the Netherlands government. As a media consultant, he continues to serve as a strategic communication and international business advisor for three international companies in Japan, Kuwait and Bangladesh.
- As a World Bank consultant, Dr. Bhuiyan conducted a series of faculty development training on student engagement in active learning process at different reputable private and public universities in Bangladesh including Institute of Business Administration (IBA)-Dhaka University, Independent University of Bangladesh (IUB), North South University (NSU), BRAC-University, Dhaka University, Khulna University and Chittagong University in 2011 and 2012.
Dr. Bhuiyan’s media contributions and interviews can be accessed at the following links:
- Recent opinion piece published in Savannah Morning News at https://www.savannahnow.com/story/opinion/2021/02/01/covid-19-pandemic-has-taught-educators-how-engage-students-remotely-university-online-savannah-state/4299334001/
- Recent Q&A with Dr. Bhuiyan on Exploring the Current State of the Media and Profession of Journalism at https://www.qwoted.com/qwestion-answer-with-dr-serajul-bhuiyan-professor-and-former-chair-ssu-dept-of-jmc/
- C-Span Interview about President Jimmy Carter at https://www.c-span.org/person/?serajulbhuiyan
- Interview with Nobel Laureate Dr. Yunus for Kuwait Times at https://news.kuwaittimes.net/website/prof-yunus-calls-redesign-economy-redesign-world/
- Interview with former Prime Minister of Malaysia for Kuwait Times at https://news.kuwaittimes.net/website/dr-mahathir-expounds-on-mideast-crises-oil/
Dr. Bhuiyan’s Four-part documentary on Nobel Laureate Dr. Younus:
- Part I Interview with Nobel Laureate Dr. Muhammad Yunus at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_1m3juIUtQ
- Part II Interview with Nobel Laureate Dr. Muhammad Yunus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tb7EOthIHg
- Part III Interview with Nobel Laureate Dr. Muhammad Yunus at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ff2_Zn-p08
- Part IV Interview with Nobel Laureate Dr. Muhammad Yunus at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dNnJCgFOA0